Friday, October 21, 2011

Currently

This one is from Hidden in a Journal "Voice is what imbues a novel with the feeling that it communicates. And no two novels ever share the exact same voice."

I like this introduction because it immediately captured my attention and it made me want to finish reading. I know that seems cliche because English teachers have continually told us to capture your readers' attention, but it is so true! I have to be caught into a book by the end of the first chapter or I will not finish because it bores me. This is why I would not read the neither Blue Blood's series, despite Taylor telling me to, or Heart of Darkness, despite the fact that Mr. Jankowski made us write an essay on it. (I plead the 5th whenever asked what I received on that essay........)

"1984 by George Orwell uses straightforward and exact diction, colloquial formality, and dull sound to create a harsh feeling for the reader, much like how Winston feels the chill of the bright cold day and the enormous eyes of the face watching him." This person has another awesome quote that I am posting. "Homer's The Odyssey poetic connotation, elegant and scholarly formality, and melodious sound."

Lucky




No comments:

Post a Comment